Tobacco Prevention Control and Spending
- FY2013 State Funding for Tobacco Control Programs: $19,903,885
- FY2013 Federal Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $2,627,061*
- FY2013 Total Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $22,530,946
- CDC Best Practices State Spending Recommendation: $45,000,000
- Percentage of CDC Recommended Level: 50.1%
*Includes tobacco prevention and cessation funding provided to states from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Thumbs up for Oklahoma for constitutionally protecting its allocation of tobacco settlement dollars, so a consistent investment in tobacco prevention and cessation can be made.
Overview of State Smoking Restrictions
- Government Workplaces: Restricted
- Private Workplaces: Restricted
- Schools: Prohibited
- Childcare Facilities: Prohibited
- Restaurants: Restricted
- Bars: No provision
- Casinos/Gaming Establishments: Restricted (tribal establishments exempt)
- Retail Stores: Prohibited
- Recreational/Cultural Facilities: Prohibited
- Penalties: Yes
- Enforcement: Yes
- Preemption: Yes
Citation: OKLA. STAT. ANN. tit. 21, § 1247 (2010) & tit. 63, §§ 1-1521 et seq. (2007).
- Tax rate per pack of 20: $1.03
Overview of State Cessation Coverage
State Medicaid Program:
- Medications: Covers all 7 recommended cessation medications*
- Counseling: Covers individual and phone counseling
- Barriers to Coverage: Limits on duration, annual limit on quit attempts, prior authorization required for 2nd quit attempt, minimal co-payments required and use of counseling to get medications required for 2nd quit attempt
State Employee Health Plan(s):
- Medications: Coverage of all 7 recommended cessation medications* varies by health plan
- Counseling: Covers individual, online and phone counseling; coverage of group counseling varies by health plan
- Barriers to Coverage: Some health plans have limits on duration, annual limits on quit attempts and/or require co-payments
- Investment Per Smoker: $6.79; CDC recommends an investment of $10.53/smoker
Other Cessation Provisions:
- Private Insurance Mandate: No provision
Citation: See State Tobacco Cessation Coverage page for specific sources.
*The 7 recommended cessation medications are: NRT Gum, NRT Patch, NRT Nasal Spray, NRT Inhaler, NRT Lozenge, Varenicline (Chantix) and Bupropion (Zyban).