Tobacco Prevention Control and Spending
- FY2013 State Funding for Tobacco Control Programs: $0
- FY2013 Federal Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $5,706,444*
- FY2013 Total Funding for State Tobacco Control Programs: $5,706,444
- CDC Best Practices State Spending Recommendation: $106,800,000
- Percentage of CDC Recommended Level: 5.3%
*Includes tobacco prevention and cessation funding provided to states from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Thumbs Down for North Carolina for eliminating all state funding for tobacco prevention and cessation programs in FY2013.
Overview of State Smoking Restrictions
- Government Workplaces: Restricted (prohibited in state government buildings)
- Private Workplaces: No provision
- Schools: Prohibited (public schools only)
- Childcare Facilities: Restricted
- Restaurants: Prohibited
- Bars: Prohibited (allowed in cigar bars)
- Casinos/Gaming Establishments: N/A (tribal casinos only)
- Retail Stores: No provision
- Recreational/Cultural Facilities: No provision
- Penalties: Yes
- Enforcement: Yes
- Preemption: Yes (private workplaces and other specific venues)
Citation: N.C. GEN. STAT. §§ 130A-491 to 130A-498 (2010), 115C-407 (2007), 131D-4.4 (2007) & 131E-114.3 (2007).
- Tax rate per pack of 20: 45 cents
Overview of State Cessation Coverage
State Medicaid Program:
- Medications: Covers all 7 recommended cessation medications*
- Counseling: Covers individual and phone counseling
- Barriers to Coverage: Minimal co-payments required
State Employee Health Plan(s):
- Medications: Covers NRT Patch, NRT Nasal spray, NRT Inhaler, Varenicline (Chantix) and Bupropion (Zyban)
- Counseling: Covers individual, online and phone counseling
- Barriers to Coverage: Co-payments required
- Investment Per Smoker: $1.20; CDC recommends an investment of $10.53/smoker
Other Cessation Provisions:
- Private Insurance Mandate: No provision
Citation: See State Tobacco Cessation Coverage page for specific sources.
*The 7 recommended cessation medications are: NRT Gum, NRT Patch, NRT Nasal Spray, NRT Inhaler, NRT Lozenge, Varenicline (Chantix) and Bupropion (Zyban).